Wednesday, August 8, 2012

on squirrels and selah


Ever seen a grown woman chased by a baby squirrel?  True story. I first spied this little guy approaching my 20 week old baby through the lens of my camera.
 I thought to myself that surely he would scare off. But the closer he came, the faster he charged. Right at Selah. I dropped my camera and swooped her up, saving her from his sharp little claws. Relentless, he turned, looked at me, and ran at my bare feet. Aron was across the park pushing the big kids on the swings. I ran and screamed and begged for him to save me, that crazy squirrel chasing me all the way to my husband, doubled over helpless in laughter at the sight.


Aron's a nature boy; I'm just a chicken. When we were 16 he showed up at my house with two baby chipmunks he rescued from the middle of the road. After a few days of bottle feeding them, I think they may have ended up at his sister's house...but that's another story.

We lay down Selah and released the little guy to run back to his mama, wherever she may be. But baby squirrel was tenacious in his pursuit of our Cocoa. I thought the thing must be rabid; turns out he was just ravenous.

Belle and Judah ran around, ensuring the squirrel chased them, leading it away from Selah and I. Aron ran to the Mounty for Judah's half eaten peanut butter sandwich.


The little buddy was half starved. Aron thinks he must have fallen out of his nest, small as he was. 
He ate his tummy full and bulging, and like my own tiny baby, curled up and went to sleep.
 "He'll get eaten tonight," Aron warned, "if we don't find a safe place for him. A raccoon will get him." Nature boy found an old stump, hollowed out, and tucked him inside on a bed of leaves, leaving his peanut butter sandwich closeby in case he needed a midnight snack. I'm a little frightened of wild animals, but it sure tugged at my heart to know a baby was fending for itself, lost from its mama. I could cry just thinking of it. And my heart turned instantly to the millions of orphans around the world, essentially with the same fate. I pray... I wonder what our family can do...
I am lingering in this tension, between the need and our resources. I wonder, if the Spirit is leading your heart, if you would join me here. Together we can pray.

Squirrel drama put to rest, I returned to my girl playing quietly on her blanket.
It was that magic time of day, the time when God came and walked with man. And even now the light bows all glorious in its remembrance. 
And our hearts bowed with it, enjoying His nearness in Spirit, longing for the day we will again be face to face. Selah Joy sings a song all her own of her Creator Love, faithful as the sun setting and rising.
The Word gives us a beautiful glimpse into the heart of Christ, telling us in Colossians that all things were created by Jesus and for Jesus, and in Him, all things hold together (1:16-17).
I have found much peace in that verse through the most fearful moments, knowing that Selah was created by Jesus and for His pleasure. And that in Him, she holds together. In Him, I hold together, even when I found myself nearly broken to pieces with worry or fear.
Selah flat out belly laughs at the sun, when it blinds her so and squinting hard, she can't even open her eyes. I think she knows something we've forgotten.
Oh, the wonder of it all.
By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me— a prayer to the God of my life. (Psalm 42:8)
Even in hardship, even through trial, the Son is still blinding with goodness.
And nothing, as Judah would say "Not ANY-THING", can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:39). That, my friends, is a warm blanket in a cold, cold world.
The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

When you know your Father's love, when you trust in the deepest parts that He's got you...because He's crazy in love with you, what have we to fear?
"Not Anything."
ejk

4 comments:

beckyjomama said...

Oh. My. WORD.

Is soooooooo woulda been running the other direction! I love that your man is such a nature boy, but I seriously woulda just run. But then you ARE talkin to the girl who screamed like freak when Sophie picked up a feather in the parking lot tonight. I hit it out of her hand and all but soaked her in anti-bacterial gel. Once I had sufficiently wigged I turned to look at Steve as he was HANDING the feather to Hattie. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I am a whack job!!)

In other news, your kids do something magical to my heart. I melt over them! for realz!!!

LOVE YOU!
M-S

Anonymous said...

I love that Aron actually got to hold the squirrel! But, like you, I would have been totally freaked at it running at me!

Beautiful pics of Miss Selah. What a girl!

Kelly said...

This is a great memory and way to capture it on film and with word. Love all of the Selah pics what a B-e-a-u-t-y. Love how she purses her lips in some pics, keep putting her in yellow, it looks great on her.

momma kirk said...

love love this post!and the people in it! i agree with you're momma need a book. thats book number 2. :)